Friday, July 6, 2012

Proverbs 14:1 - Am I A Builder?

Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands. (Proverbs 14:1)

This verse is on my agenda right now. I can't help but question whether I'm a builder of my house or a tearer-downer. 

I have a confession to make.  Sometimes my family gets on my nerves.  Yeah, I know.  It's hard to imagine that someone as patient and content as I am could say something like that.

I know deep down in my heart that much of the problem lies within me.  I'm selfish.  My selfishness prevents me from building my house.  I'm too busy building my hobbies, my reading list, my Facebook community (ahem), playing my games (ummm ... Yes, GardenDesign 4.0 is a game just like GuitarHero.  Maybe not as action packed or so called "stupid," but it is a game nonetheless, and I spend far too much time indulging myself into the wee hours), and on and on.  My husband and family need me to build my house by doing some things ...

Cooking and cleaning (hubby does his share as well, believe me)
Raising children,
Loving my husband,
Teaching younger wives,
Keeping my finances in order.

There are others for sure, but these were at the top of my head and the tip of my fingers.

I should be doing these things instead of getting lost for hours and hours on the computer or in a good book without any idea what's going on around me.

And speaking of a Good Book, what about when I spend all day researching Bible topics and I don't pay attention to anything around me?  Not the kids, not the meals, not the husband, not anything?  Am I sinning then?  Am I tearing down my house?

Ouch.

I do that ALL THE TIME.

I better pay more attention to how I go about my day.  I have to heed the Word of God and build up my house rather than tear it down with my own hands like a fool.


No comments:

Post a Comment